• PLEASE conform to ALL of the requirements in our submission guidelines. They are listed under our tool bar by genre.
• Concerning unsolicited manuscripts, if you have not heard back from Hartline Literary Agency within 12 weeks of submitting, please assume that we do not intend to pursue your query further.
• Joyce Hart works primarily with published authors unless you have met at a Writer’s conference. Also, she will look at referrals by a client or an editor. Joyce Hart will accept both e-mail and USPS proposals.
• Jim Hart, Diana Flegal, Linda Glaz, and Cyle Young are looking at selected first-time authors, published authors and referrals. These agents accept ONLY e-mail submissions per requirements below. No zip files. Please do NOT submit any material that would conflict with the Christian worldview.
• All e-mail submissions sent to Hartline Agents should be sent as a MS Word doc (or in rich text file format from another word processing program ) attached to an e-mail with “submission: title, authors name and word count” in the subject line. A proposal is A SINGLE document, not a collection of files. Place the query letter in the email itself. Do not send the entire proposal in the body of the e-mail or send PDF files. There is a nice checklist to ensure your manuscript is properly formatted that you are welcome to use at the submit page.
• Our core strength is representing inspirational fiction and non-fiction books for adults. We do not market short fiction, screenplays, scripts, poetry, or magazine articles. We represent most genres in inspirational or commercial fiction. We are probably not the right agency to market your literary fiction, nor do we represent books that contain extraordinary violence, unnecessary profanity, or gratuitous sexuality.
• For the most part, Hartline works with domestic (living in the United States or Canada) authors, but international writers are considered on an individual basis by each agent.